1. In the Beginning, created, ALHIM, the Essence of the Heavens and the Essence of the Earth.
2. Thus the first Name given in the Book of Genesis is that of The Elehim, the Creative Gods.
3. And the Numeration thereof is 86. Many and great are its mysteries.
4. Then, in the Second Creation Story, is made mention of IHVH = JaHVeH, the Tetragrammaton or Name-of-the-Four-letters, whose numeration is 26.
5. And this name was throughout the Second Story combined with that of the First, as it is written IHVH ALHIM, whose numeration is 112.
6. And the Name-of-the-Four-letters, IHVH, was considered by the Jews too sacred to be pronounced, save only once a year by the High Priest in the Holy of Holies, amid the blare of trumpets, and thus, in reading aloud, there was substituted the name ADNI, Adonai, which being translated is "Lord." And the numeration thereof is 65.
7. But unto Abraham and unto Isaac and unto Jacob, with whom God made His first Covenant, His Name IHVH was not revealed, for by them was He known by His name AL (God) Shaddai, that is to say: GOD Almighty. And the numeration of AL is 31 (many and great are its mysteries); and the full numeration of AL ShDI, is 345, which is also that of the mysterious word HShM, Ha Shema, which meaneth The NAME.
8. But only unto the Prophet MShH, Moses, the numeration of whose name is 345, was reavealed by God His Highest Name, that is by numeration 543, the numerical Temurah of 345, which name is AHIH AShR AHIH, Ehieh Ashur Ehieh, which meaneth "Existence IS Existence" -- the NAME of the Highest GOD.
9. Even as it is written in Exodus 3.13: "And Moses said to God, `Behold, when I come to the children of Israel, and say to them, The God of your fathers hath sent me to you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall I say to them?" And God said to Moses, `I AM THAT I AM.' And he said `Thus shalt thou say to the children if Israel; I AM (AHIH) hath sent me to you.'"
10. And the numeration of AHIH is 21, many and great are its mysteries.
11. "And God said moreover to Moses, "Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel; IHVH, (JaHVeH) the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob hath sent me to you; this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial to generations of generations".
12. And again in Exodus 6.2: "And God spake unto Moses, and said to him, `I AM IHVH (JaHVeH). And I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as AL (or God) Almighty, but by my name IHVH was I not known to them. And I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their sojournings wherein they sojourned!"
13. And the numeration of AHIH IHVH, I AM JaHVeH, is 47, but by the Qabalists these Names (of Macroprosopus and Microprosopus) have been coalescend into the most mysterious name AHIHVH, the numeration of which is 32.
14. Thus did God reveal His name to Moses as of the Vast Countenance AHIH and of the Lesser Countenance IHVH, and both these Holy Names have been held most sacred.
15. But in the whole of Judaism and its sacred literature there is nothing that is so holy as the sentence known as the Shema, Ha Shema, which is to say "The NAME" -- "Hear, O Israel: IHVH ALHIM IHVH AChD, JaHVeH our God JaHVeH is ACHAD: Achad meaning ONE -- UNITY. (And this Shema occurs in the Book of Deuteronomy Chapter VI verse 4.)
16. And these words of the Shema are immediately followed by the Command: "And thou shalt love IHVH thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words I command thee this day, shall be in thy heart; and thou shalt press them upon thy children, and shall talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write upon the door-post of thy house, and on the city gates.
17. This, then is the Commandment which IHShVH (Jesus) later referred to as "The whole of the Law and the Prophets."
18. And the numeration of AChD (Unity) is 13. Likewise is the numeration of AHBH, Ahebah, LOVE, 13. And together Unity and Love are 26, which is the numeration if IHVH, which implieth that the One God is Love, and as such most worthy of the whole love of His chosen people -- first and foremost and always.
19. After which First Commandment cometh the love of the neighbour and of one another, and of all creatures for His sake.
20. And what of this Love (AHBH) when extended, or as the Qabalists say, spelt in full? Spelt in full AHBH (13) becomes ALP HH BITh HH the numeration of which is 543 the equivalent of AHIH AShR AHIM -- I AM THAT I AM -- The NAME of the Highest GOD.
21. ACHAD is AHEBAH -- God is Love.
22. But there is a further great Mystery of the name of God which was also revealed unto Moses (345) but of which word is indeed seldom spoken, yet which when known and reverenced unlocks many secret gates.
23. This Holy name is QNA whose numeration is 151.
24. What meaneth this?
25. When Moses having broken the First tablets of the law received from God on Mount Sinai, returned again with other tablets that the Lord might write again thereon (See Exodus Ch 34 V.1) God made a further covenant with him (verse 10) and disclosed a third name to Moses (verse 14) as follows: "For thou shalt worship no other God; for IHVH whose Name is JEALOUS (QNA) is a jealous God."
26. Now the primary meaning of this word JEALOUS is: Eager to uphold, solicitous for, guarding watchfully. Its secondary meaning as applied to the Commandment of God is: Requiring whole-hearted worship and servive. And only in its tertiary and further meanings does it have reference to: Apprehension of being supplanted, outdone by a rival in love; or in the favour of another etc. But it does also mean: Zealously vigilant. Thus its root is in "Zeal": Intense enthusiasm; ardour, fervour.
27. It is this intense enthusiasm, this ardour, this fervour that QNA is in Himself and demand of others: Thou shalt LOVE Me with thy whole heart, thy whole soul, thy whole mind and thy whole strength for I AM LOVE Itself and I AM JEALOUS, because passionate Love in its very nature implies the possibility of Jealousy.
28. And how does this Great Name of God give us the key to our choice of a Number most adequate to represent Him?
29. The Numeration of QNA is 151.
30. The Numeration of AHIH (I AM) spelt in full (ALPh HH IVD HH) is 151.
31. The Numeration of IHVH ALHIM IHVH AChD (JaHVeH our GOD JaHVeh is ONE) is 151.
32. This shows in one combination or another the original ALHIM (Our God) of the First Creation Story, AHIH the highest Name given to Moses, IHVH the Ineffable name of Four Letters, AChD, the true Unity, are all through the Number 151 equivalent to this Holy Name QNA which has been "rejected".
33. That it does represent the Stone that the Builders rejected is shown as follows: Tradition has it that the Original Law was written upon a Sapphire Stone. Moses broke and discarded the original Tablet of the Law. And QNA being written in full becomes QOPH NVN ALPh which is 403 which number is that of the words ABN SPhIR, that is to say the Sapphire Stone.
34. Now as for the sound of this Holy Name QNA it is CANA. And this surely suggests the land of CANAan, the promised land flowing with milk and honey. It is also significant that the first miracle performed by IHShVH took place at CANA of Galilee in connection with a marriage, or love feast, where Water was changed into Wine, and whereat Jesus first signified the Kingdom of Heaven which is within every man as leaven is within three measure of meal.
35. But finally there is a more than possible connection with certain prophesies in Liber legis, which is called the Book of the Law in the New Aeon. Mention is made therein of a word not known: and this was once explained (after the discovery of the key AL) as a word NOT known.
36. But there is towards the end of this Book -- Chapter III verse 72 -- a certain mysterious word which may have reference to the "not known" of Chapter III verse 2. "I am the Lord of the Double Wand of Power: the wand of the force of Coph Nia -- etc."
37. Now there is, as has been shown elsewhere, a most interesting correspondence between the words "Coph Nia" and The Book of the Law, their Hebrew equivalents having the same numeration.
38. But in the Commentary on Liber Legis written by 666 there occurs these words "Coph Nia": the original MS has -- left incomplete as not properly heard. The present text was filled in later in her own hand by the Scarlet Woman."
38. Now there was another word not rightly heard when the original MS was made: thus the title of first editions appeared as Liber L. vel Legis, and only after the discovery of the Key to the book did this get changed to the proper title: Liber AL vel Legis.
39. It is here suggested then, that the word "Coph was given (or put down) for the Hebrew letter "Qoph" and that the Intelligence dictating Liber Legis gave this seperate letter Qoph as the first letter of a word, but pronounced it apart specially to distinguish it from "Kaph". It is further suggested that what was written as "NIA" was intended to be the rest of the Word, viz: NA, so that the word should read QNA or CANA, or KANA by sound. Had, however, the whole word been pronounced thus it would surely have been written down with an initial letter of either C or K, and to avoid this the first sound given was "Coph" or "Qoph". This led (as JEALOUSLY does) to a misunderstanding. May not the word JEALOUS (QNA) be the "word not known" which has caused the "Division hither homewards" of Chapter III.2.?
40. The further correspondences of this Number 151 are also worthy of note.
41. There is the word QVMH which means: A standing upright, and "stature".
42. There is also the sacred word MQVH which appears in Jer.XVII.13, where it is written:
12. "A glorious throne on high from the beginning hath
been the place of our Sanctuary.
13. "O IHVH, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee
shall be ashamed.
"They that drew back from me shall be written on
earth, because they have forsaken IHVH, "THE
FOUNTAIN OF LIVING WATERS." (MQVH = 151)
43. Let us then not forget "to rejoice" (GIL = 43) to
Written down by Frater Achad this twenty third day of April in the year Nineteen hundred and thirtysix at "Tall Timbers" Deep Water, B.C., Canada
Original transcription believed to be by Frater Nachash.
HTML formatting by Benjamin Rowe, March 1997.
Hosted by Hermetic.com